March 10, 2008

CULTURE: Eat, Work, Pray

Today, someone from the college posted this message to the JCCClist, one of the college's electronic mail servers (not to be confused with the college's official communication listserv, Infolist).

The average person only prays 5 minutes a week. That is terrible. I have been praying and thinking about this very subject for the last month. I think we should have a prayer group, meeting, time, whatever you want to call it.

Of course, you don't have to come, but starting today at 11:30 in the Carlson Center Lobby I would love to start a prayer group. The Lord said, "When 2 or 3 are gathered in My Name I am there." Let's gather in His name. I will be there today at 11:30. I hope some of you feel convicted to show up. And, if you don't want to, you can always email me your prayer requests and we will pray for you. Please say if it is confidential or not, but Prayer is so powerful.

I don't really know how I feel about a prayer group forming on campus. We have student groups that focus on religion. We have classes that explore religious themes. But the person who posted this is an employee and, for her, JCCC is a workplace. I wouldn't want to walk into Best Buy and find employees around praying at the Wii display.